Get The Deal
Join today and get 15% off your first order! Product starts at $10.
BirchBox was created in 2010 by Hayley Barna and Katia Beauchamp as an alternative way for women to sample cosmetics, hair and skincare products. Shortly after the women’s service took off, the company established BirchBoxMan, a subscription grooming kit service for men, in 2012. BirchBox services boast over one million subscribers and four million customers.
This BirchBoxMan review covers the product types and brands available in the boxes, account registration, payment methods and everything else you need to know when deciding which grooming subscription box service to use.
What Makes BirchBox Man Unique?
BirchBoxMan edits can curate a box for you, or you can “do-it-yourself” and choose items from among the site’s grooming categories. When you’re in New York, you can visit a BirchBox retail store in the Soho district of Manhattan. The store has a large selection of BirchBox and BirchBoxMan products.
Subscription boxes can be customized for your skin type, hair type, and lifestyle. Fill out a
Grooming Profile to receive boxes curated explicitly for:
- Dry, normal or sensitive skin types
- Curly, thick or straight hair
- Artsy, classic or athletic style
If your profile indicates you have sensitive skin, straight hair, and a classic style, your BirchBox will be much different than a box for an artsy guy with curly hair and dry skin. Take time to fill out your Grooming Profile to make the most of the products in your box.
The plentiful grooming categories and sub-categories to choose from include:
- Skincare (Anti-aging, lip care, sun protection, toner, face moisturizers, eye care, cleansers, face masks)
- Hair (Shampoo, conditioner, styling products, treatments, tools)
- Body (Bar soaps, hand care, oral care, body scrubs, deodorants, body washes)
- Beard (Balm, oil, beard wash, and tools)
- Fragrance (home and personal fragrance, fragrance sets)
- Shave (aftershave, oil, creams and gels, tools, shave sets)
- Apparel (socks and other small items)
- Lifestyle (earbuds and other small tech items)
BirchBoxMan grooming boxes may have full-size or sample size products or a combination of both.
The BirchBoxMan Loyalty Program gives you points that can help you save cash on future purchases, and you can find promo codes on the internet to help you save even more.
How the Sign-Up Process Works
Subscribe by visiting the sign-up page. Create an account and choose a monthly, three-month, six-month or 12-month subscription option. For the three to 12 month options, you’ll be rebilled after the first subscription expires unless you cancel the auto-renewal.
Fill out the grooming profile before you check out for the first time so the company knows your preferences. Enter your name, address, payment method and other information. Your first box will be shipped in two to four days.
Pricing and Value
Cost depends on the subscription you choose (three, six or 12 months) or the price of various single purchase items. Monthly boxes are $10 and tax, with free shipping. A luxury box costs $20 a month and has more upscale and full-size items. If you choose a year luxury box subscription, the cost is $16.25 a month
The BirchBoxMan Loyalty Program gives you one point for every dollar you spend. When you acquire 10 points, you get $1 off anything in the shop. When you spend $300 in a year, you reach Aces status and become eligible for special promotions, product launches, and other goodies. The Loyalty program offers you extra value for your dollar, giving even moderate spenders a reason to choose BirchBoxMan.
When you sign up for a six or 12-month subscription, you'll get 50 loyalty points.
Tell your friends about BirchBoxMan, and you'll earn 50 points for every friend who signs up for the service. Check the website for the most recent information.
Public Perception (Other BirchBoxMan Reviews)
BirchboxMan reviews are mostly positive. The company is highly trusted by both men and women who use their services. Most reviewers were impressed by the upscale products or samples as well as the way the box was arranged. One reviewer liked the box’s “portability” for short trips.
The no-return, no refund policy is a sticking point with many reviewers, as most other grooming box services are open to returns and/or refunds in some cases.
How It Compares
The selection of grooming products BirchBoxMan outdoes most other services, which offer only shaving products, or a limited number of men's grooming categories and items. The high-quality offerings include well-known brands like Kiehl's as well as indie brands, so it is more of a bargain than some subscription box companies that only offer indie brands.
The box may or may not contain a product or theme description card like some other services. Packing material keeps the contents from sliding around and provides an attractive presentation for the products.
Individual orders from the online store can be refunded/returned within 90 days, but boxes can't be returned or refunded.
What products will I receive in my box?
- Each box has sample-sized or full-sized products from several BirchBoxMan grooming categories. You can choose to get more of a particular category by filling out a Grooming Profile. However, you can’t opt out of a product type entirely.
- A typical box contains one lifestyle/apparel item (socks, boxers headphones, pocket knife, soap dish, etc.) and five grooming product samples.
What brand names do BirchBoxMan feature in their boxes?
Grooming products may include the following brand names/products:
- Jack Black Hand Cream
- English Laundry Cologne sample
- Kiehl's Face Cleanser
- Proraso Shaving Products
One recent $20 box offered the followed full-sized products:
- Parcel Supply Fidget Cube
- Hercules Beard Milk Body Powder
- Anthony No Sweat Body Defense
- Baxter of California Daily Face Wash
- Brickell Face Scrub
- Jack Black Clean Break Oil-Free Moisturizer
Can I cancel an order?
- Cancel a monthly rebillable subscription by going to the "Subscriptions" heading underneath your "Account Settings". You can cancel the three, six or 12-month subscriptions in the first month, but you can cancel the auto-renewal any time, including the final month of your subscription.
What payment methods does BirchBox accept?
- Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover credit cards and debits cards can be used to pay for orders. BirchBox does not accept Paypal, money orders, checks, gift cards or Loyalty Points as payment for subscriptions.
- You can edit or remove a payment method by going to your Account Setting and changing the information under "Payment Details."
How do gift subscriptions work?
- When you purchase a gift subscription, the recipient gets a Welcome Box with products suitable for anyone. From there, he can fill out his Grooming Profile and receive customized boxes for the remainder of the subscription. You pay for the gift subscription in full when you order it. It isn’t renewable.
Is It Worth It For Me?
BirchBoxMan has something for everyone with eight grooming and lifestyle categories and dozens of subcategories. The company also has a variety of ordering options from monthly pay-as-you-go subscription boxes, one-year auto-renew subscriptions to an e-shop where you can buy individual items.
This service is for you if you hate shopping, but like to experiment with new grooming products. You’ll get to sample products you probably wouldn’t find shopping at a drug or department store, and it would take a lot of browsing to find some of them online. The BirchBoxMan editors do the work for you by selecting only the best and most original products for their boxes.
You can choose a standard subscription box for $10 a month or a luxury one for $20 a month. You have to live in the U.S. to receive these boxes – the company doesn’t send packages overseas or even to Canada.
Coupons and Deals
Coupon codes are available online from men’s lifestyle websites and coupon clearinghouses. The BirchBox website is the first place to look for codes and money saving deals.
BirchBoxMan offers one of the best selections of men’s grooming products we’ve found in any subscription box service. This high-profile service offers customers many ways to enjoy a variety of full-sized grooming products and samples, as well as apparel and lifestyle items.
The Grooming Profile offers a customization feature that virtually guarantees everything you’ll receive will be a good-to-perfect match for your lifestyle. The only negatives are the no refund/return policy and U.S. shipping only policies.
This BirchBoxMan review has been designed to give you an overview of the company and some of the products it offers. Learn more about the service by visiting its website, and always check out competitors before committing to a grooming subscription box service.